View Issue Details
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0001981||3 - Current Dev List||Bug||public||2017-02-17 12:54||2018-03-14 09:15|
|Target Version||Fixed in Version|
|Summary||0001981: Google Earth will not open from Satellite Tracker|
|Description||The Google Earth software will not start when the icon is clicked in the Satellite Tracker toolbar.|
|Tags||No tags attached.|
Looks like Google has withdrawn support for the Google Earth SDK:
Mike, should we remove Google Earth from the product? Is there a replacement, or is fancy mapping just gone?
This is a 2014 story. Google eventually retracted that position and has continued Google Earth. In fact, they just released Google Earth v9 on 18 April 2017. I don't know if it's the same kind of app or not.
I haven't tried launching Google Earth from Sat Track lately. But I do recall that - after Google did some upgrade to it, you had to open Google Earth first... and then when you selected Google Earth within Sat Track, it tracked as normal.
On my development machine, I installed Google Earth manually. I had to, in order to build (compile) the code.
I've started Google Earth then stopped it. I still can't launch Google Earth from the Satellite Tracker.
On my VM, Google Earth doesn't appear to be installed -- I can't see a way to run it as an application from the Start menu. Is setup meant to install Google Earth as an app so that users are able to start it and shut it down? I dont think it is doing so. Or are customers meant to do that manually?
The only mention I see of "Google Earth" in the user's meanual is that it is supported from Satellite Tracker. But the only user's manual I can find is from version 6.2. Have things changed since then?
When I try to launch Google Earth, the error I see in the debugegr is "Class not registered". The code is trying to create a given class from the Google SDK with OLE. The message means that either the class isn't [correctly] installed, or the program is asking for the wrong class ID.
It's possible that Google has updated the ID of the class across versions, which is fixable by us getting a new SDK. But the only source I find for an SDK leads to that announcement that Google has dropped support for Google Earth:
||Google Earth not opening in .791 for me|
I've got this shelved change list to remove the use of the unsupported COM interface to Google Earth Desktop from the Logbook. This doesn't fix this issue, but it's a step towards cleaning up the dependency.
It looks like the Satellite Tracker is meant to use the COM interface to Google Earth Desktop to draw the satellite. It will pass an azimuth and elevation, and let the user adjust the camera for viewing hte satellite against the earth in the background.
Because Google no longer supports the COM interface to Google Earth desktop, I don't believe there's a way to dynamically control the application. The symptom reported in this bug is that Google Earth doesn't open; that's because we CoCreate the COM object and it fails:
HRESULT hr = CoCreateInstance(EARTHLib::CLSID_ApplicationGE,
with REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG. That error message means either the class we're trying to create (a local server for the Google Earth application interface implementation) isn't available on the machine, or we're asking for the wrong interface.
The interface definition comes from an old version of the Google Earth type library rescued from an older installation of the Google Earth desktop product. That version of the product is no longer supported by Google and can't be downloaded or installed. No new programmatic interface information is available, as far as I can tell, because Google no longer supports the COM interface.
At this point, all we can do is:
2) try to find a product that replaces Google Earth. Get licensing together, sort out the installation issues, and add the supporting code to the product.
3) remove this feature from Satellite Tracker.
Meanwhile, the SatTracker code fails to create the Google Earth interface and doesn't say anything to the user. I've prepared this shelve set to add an error message:
I've made this checkin which removes some disconnected code related to this issue.
||I've re-opened this issue. The issue is fixable; we just have to decide which approach we'd like to take. I'm assigning this issue to WA9PIE so he can drive that decision.|
|2017-02-17 12:54||KB3NPH||New Issue|
|2017-03-08 00:06||WA9PIE||Project||3 - Current Dev List => 2 - Next Dev List (Holding Area)|
|2017-06-23 10:04||K7ZCZ||Note Added: 0003270|
|2017-06-23 10:04||K7ZCZ||Assigned To||=> WA9PIE|
|2017-06-23 10:04||K7ZCZ||Status||new => assigned|
|2017-06-23 10:21||WA9PIE||Note Added: 0003271|
|2017-06-23 11:46||K7ZCZ||Note Added: 0003272|
|2017-07-23 01:20||K7ZCZ||Relationship added||has duplicate 0001910|
|2018-02-26 11:00||WA9PIE||Project||2 - Next Dev List (Holding Area) => 3 - Current Dev List|
|2018-02-26 11:09||WA9PIE||Status||assigned => resolved|
|2018-02-26 11:09||WA9PIE||Resolution||open => fixed|
|2018-02-26 11:09||WA9PIE||Fixed in Version||=> 184.108.40.2061|
|2018-02-26 11:09||WA9PIE||Testing||=> Not Started|
|2018-02-27 09:56||WA9PIE||Assigned To||WA9PIE => K7ZCZ|
|2018-03-01 04:16||g3ypp||Note Added: 0004333|
|2018-03-01 23:27||WA9PIE||Status||resolved => assigned|
|2018-03-01 23:27||WA9PIE||Resolution||fixed => reopened|
|2018-03-01 23:27||WA9PIE||Fixed in Version||220.127.116.111 =>|
|2018-03-01 23:27||WA9PIE||Testing||Not Started => Beta Failed|
|2018-03-11 12:05||K7ZCZ||Relationship added||related to 0002132|
|2018-03-11 12:14||K7ZCZ||Note Added: 0004471|
|2018-03-11 12:34||WA9PIE||Status||assigned => resolved|
|2018-03-11 12:42||K7ZCZ||Note Added: 0004472|
|2018-03-13 14:20||WA9PIE||Resolution||reopened => not fixable|
|2018-03-14 09:14||K7ZCZ||Note Added: 0004488|
|2018-03-14 09:15||K7ZCZ||Assigned To||K7ZCZ => WA9PIE|
|2018-03-14 09:15||K7ZCZ||Status||resolved => assigned|
|2018-03-14 09:15||K7ZCZ||Note Added: 0004489|